The Office of Sport works with key sector partners to develop a vibrant and valued sport and active recreation sector that enhances the lives of the people of NSW. The Office of Sport is a public service executive agency related to the Department of Industry.
We provide leadership and support to the sport and active recreation sector to enhance its performance, pathways and sustainability.
The Office of Sport is responsible for planning, managing and delivering high quality venues and facilities, sport and recreation development programs, and high-performance sport while ensuring ongoing sport integrity and safety.
We provide an oversight and coordination role for government sport-related entities to enhance coherence of strategy, activities and investments in the sector.
We believe by embracing these strategic priorities and working collaboratively with the sector and other government agencies and partners, we can better realise the benefits that the sector can contribute to the people of NSW.
- Places and Spaces – Well managed facilities that meet the needs of users and investors.
- Sector performance – A strategically focused and empowered NSW sport and active recreation sector.
- Participation – More people in NSW participating in sport and active recreation.
- High performance sport – More NSW sporting success and NSW being a valued partner in Australia’s international success.
The Office of Sport has four key Groups and works closely with a number of other agencies.
Sport Infrastructure Group
The Office of Sport has a dedicated group responsible for the development, delivery and implementation of a portfolio of policy initiatives and reforms implemented by maintaining and developing existing and new sports infrastructure.
The work supports organisational objectives and Government commitments by providing strategic direction and coordination in the planning, management and delivery of the sporting venues and facilities
The three key areas of focus for the Sports Infrastructure Group include:
- Stadia network implementation – delivering the Government’s 2015 Rebuilding the Stadia Network Strategy (2015) of $1.6 billion project pipeline. The objective of this investment in key stadia infrastructure is to drive growth in the visitor economy, realise the economic and social benefits of strong cultural and sporting sector, and support liveability for the people of NSW.
- Facilities strategy and planning – drives the implementation of a government and sport strategic planning framework and investment strategy for community sporting facilities.
- Asset management – coordinates the maintenance and capital works program across NSW Government sporting infrastructure. The Unit develops business cases for government funding review by working with Treasury, Infrastructure NSW and stakeholder groups.
Major projects underway include:
- Rebuilding the major NSW stadia network
- The new Western Sydney Stadium
- Lake Ainsworth Olympic Training Centre
- Southern Highlands Regional Shooting Complex at Hill Top
- NSW NRL Centres of Excellence Program
- Future Needs of Sport Infrastructure Study
- Indoor arena feasibility study and business case
- Commerciality Framework for stadia
- Community Sport Infrastructure Resource Library
Sport and Recreation Services Group
The Sport and Recreation Services Group is focused on delivering services which enable the people of NSW to access and participate in sport and active recreation.
The Sport and Recreation Services Groups facilities the following programs:
- Sport and Recreation Centres - 11 centres located in regional and metropolitan areas of NSW
- Regional Offices
- Former Olympic Venues - Sydney International Regatta Centre, Sydney International Equestrian Centre, Sydney International Shooting Centre and Southern Highlands Regional Shooting Complex
- Grants and Funding programs - grant programs providing funding to state sporting organisations, local sporting clubs and other stakeholder groups
- Regulation - Provide regulatory services for Combat Sports and Motor Sports
Sport Development Group
The Sport Development Group provides collaborative leadership to improve the relevance and impact of the sport and active recreation sector through improved participation, high performance pathways and attendance at events.
The four key areas of focus for the Sport Development Group include:
- Policy and Sector Strategy – leading and facilitating policy and strategy development and the provision of high level advice on strategic issues facing the sport and active recreation sector to resolve challenges and capitalise on opportunities. Key focus areas include improved evidence, evaluation and alignment across government and sector.
- Sector Performance – driving improvements in sport and active recreation sector sustainability and performance by developing and implementing capacity-building strategies and fostering cross-sector engagement and collaboration.
- Integrity Branch – leading the development of strategies and facilitates implementation to achieve improved integrity in sport and confidence in the system.
- Major Sports Events – assists with undertaking major sports event planning and activation to deliver a high quality customer experience and to maximise the benefits of events for NSW, particularly focusing on increasing participation in sport and active recreation and strengthening the sector.
Corporate Services Group
The Corporate Services Group provides services and support to divisions and entities across the Office of Sport.
The Office of Sport works closely with the following agencies: