Fundraising is a cost effective way to make money for your club. Your greatest supporters are your members, their families, friends and the local community. But fundraisers can be hard work – planning and resources are needed to get the most out of the event.
- Fundraising committee - allocate duties and agree to meet regularly. Always take minutes and distribute. This keeps everyone informed and acts as a handy check list of things that need to be done before the next meeting.
- Plan - put together a plan. Determine what needs to be done, when it needs to be done by and who will do it. Start early if you’re activity involves booking facilities, requiring insurance, applying for permissions or inviting a guest speaker. These may take time.
- Fundraising goal - determine how much money you want to raise. Keep it all in check - you may have brilliant ideas, but how much will it cost to do? Remember the fundraiser needs to make money to be successful.
- Past successes - review past fundraising activities. If it has been successful before then there’s probably no reason to change the activity.
- Enthusiasm counts - discuss what you would all enjoy selling or participate in. If you’re enthusiastic about something, you’ll be more motivated to sell and get people involved.
- Hidden talents - find out the hidden talents and resources of club members, friends, relatives and associates. A child’s mother may be an event organiser, another’s uncle a sports personality or a next-door neighbour could own a catering company. Utilise what you can to cut down on costs.
- Permissions and regulations - make sure you get all the necessary permissions and have covered all regulations. Examples include:
- For all activities check if you need to register with the NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing. Their website features a range of fact sheets and applications.
- If the event is not on the club’s premises, check with the local council for permission to use a public facility or area.
- If you’re serving food you’ll need to comply with health and food regulations.
- Give thanks - remember to thank everyone. People are giving up their time and resources to help.
- Australian Sports Foundation – fundraising for sport
- Club Help – Fundraising
- Clearinghouse for Sport - Connecting people in sport to a world of ideas, experiences and knowledge.
- Our Community
- Fundraising ideas
- NSW Office of Liquor, Gaming and Racing for community gaming laws and permits
- NSW Food Authority for food safety information for your events