The Office of Sport is committed to safeguarding children and young people in sport and recreation through continually enhancing its own child safe policies and practises to ensure that children and young people have the best possible experience.
The Office works in partnership with the Office of the Children’s Guardian, the lead agency for child safety in NSW, and acknowledges the work of the Royal Commission into Institutional Response to Child Sexual Abuse.
The Office of Sport helps and works with the sector on safeguarding children through the following projects:
- Partnership with the Office of the Children’ Guardian
- Input into key NSW legislation and/or policy which affects the sport and recreation sector
- Strengthening child protection compliance in our sport and recreation grant programs
- Financial and in-kind support and promotion of Play by the Rules in NSW
- Facilitating a NSW Member Protection in Sport Network with representatives from peak NSW sporting organisations
- Safeguarding children forums and briefings for peak NSW sporting organisations
- Supporting Member Protection Information Officer training across NSW
- Facilitating a Youth in Sport leadership program to listen to and involve young people in sporting organisations.
Sport and recreation organisations are encouraged to work with the Guardian and make use of its training, resources and assistance.