All sporting organisations have a responsibility to provide safe environments for children and young people.
In NSW, the Working With Children Check (WWCC) is a prerequisite for anyone in child-related work – paid and voluntary. It involves a national criminal history check and review of findings of workplace misconduct. The Office of the Children’s Guardian manages the Working With Children Check in NSW.
- Contact your state or national body and find out what’s already in place for your sport, including Member Protection and Child Protection policies and any child safe guidelines.
The Office of the Children’s Guardian is a comprehensive resource where you can apply for the WWCC and get information, factsheets and training:
- Apply for a Working with Children Check
- Get information, free workshops and child safe training
- An Administering the Working With Children Check Guide for NSW sporting clubs and organisations
- Like the Facebook page and stay up to date on the latest child-safe rules and training.
Play by the Rules also offers free online training for sport in child protection.