The NSW Government is carrying out a $7.7 million upgrade to the shooting range at the Southern Highlands Regional Shooting Complex. The 50 metre and 500 ranges are currently under construction and the 800 metre range will continue to operate throughout the construction period.
The Southern Highlands Regional Shooting Complex project was originally approved in 2010, and includes an upgrade to the existing 800m range in mid-2018.
The 50 metre and 500 metre range are due to open February 2019. Standard daily construction hours are from 7am to 5pm Monday to Saturday, with no construction on Sundays or Public Holidays.
|View the Construction Environmental Management Plan dated September 2017, and endorsed by the Department of Environment & Planning.|
The work approved for construction under Modification 5 includes:
- Acoustic shelters to be built at the new 500 metre and 50 metre ranges
- Large earth mounds (using existing site stockpiles of earth) to be built at the 500m and 50m ranges to reduce noise levels
- Firing lines at both new ranges to be built close to ground level to reduce noise levels
- Stopbutt construction at the 50 metre and 500 metre ranges to meet best practice lead management at outdoor shooting ranges (US)
- Install solar power panels on roofs of 50 metre and 500 metre firing lines
- Install on-site environmental waste disposal for bathroom facilities at 50 metre and 500 metre ranges
- Construction of range walls for the 50 metre shooting range
- Commissioning environmental noise tests during construction period
- Provide wheelchair accessible facilities and equitable access to the 50 metre and 500 metre firing lines
- Car parking areas next to 50 metre and 500 metre ranges.
Compliance and noise regulation will be overseen by the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) and the Complex managed by the Office of Sport as a public facility.
As part of the proposal a Traffic Management Study and further noise testing will be completed after the facility opens.
The Office of Sport agreed to clean up the stopbutt of the existing 800 metre range as part of the Project Approval and remediation can start after Wingecarribee Shire Council assess the development application.
- Approved civil works plan 1 (PDF, 3.85MB), Approved civil works plan 2 (PDF, 9.47MB)
- Approved landscape plans (PDF, 7.51MB)
- Approved site plans (PDF, 9.54MB)
- Revised range template (PDF, 2.85MB)
- Approved conservation area (PDF, 3.11MB)
- Approved combined site plan (PDF, 3MB)
- Southern Highlands Regional Shooting Complex Community Consultation Report, October 2016 (PDF, 2.27MB)
- Target Shooting Ranges: Application Note for Assessing Noise Compliance - NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA)
- Conditions of approval - NSW Government Department of Planning & Environment
- Bushfire Management Plan, 18 February 2011 (PDF, 6.43MB)
- Construction Environmental Management Plan, September 2017 (PDF, 2.53MB)
- Ecological Management Plan, September 2010 (PDF, 2.88MB)
- Soil and Water Management Plan, September 2010 (PDF, 223KB)
- Water Cycle Management Plan, September 2010 (1.03MB)
Past acoustic compliance reports
- 800m Range Compliance Testing - Compliance Test, 4 December 2015 (PDF, 2.33MB)
- Acoustic Compliance Testing, 16 May 2012 (PDF, 479KB)
- Acoustic Compliance Testing, 28 February 2011 (PDF, 507KB)
- Acoustic Compliance Testing, 8 February 2011 (PDF, 496KB)
- Acoustic Compliance Testing, 24 November 2010 (PDF, 574KB)